I’m waiting for 3 important components, the motor to transmission adaptor plate, motor mount, and the controller. The first two are being fabricated by Electro Automotive (www.electroauto.com), while the controller, a Raptor 1200, will be shipped directry from the manufacturer, DC Power Systems (www.dcpowersystems.com). Most of my other components such as the DC motor, charger, DC to DC converter, etc., were purchased from KTA Services, Inc. (www.kta-ev.com) and are ready for installation. I really enjoy working with Ken of KTA Services and Shari of Electro Automotive. They truly are assets to the industry.
I really don’t mind the delay, because there are lots of things to do as far as getting the car ready. This car is more than 30 years old, and the restoration part of the project has its own unique challenges. Next step is to “rustproof” the car. I discovered surface rust in the center tunnel area, the pedal cluster, and behind the dash.
This spells W-O-R-K:
Perhaps the hardest step in this project is the fabrication of the battery racks and the (optional) boxes. This will be tackled later, after the rustproofing phase. In the meantime, I made some battery mock-ups using styrofoam held together by toothpicks and masking tape. Here’s a picture of the mock-ups sitting in the spare tire well: