Archive | July, 2007

Shopaholic

22 Jul

I sure feel like a shopaholic buying parts and stuff for this project.  Let’s look at some pictures of what I recently bought:

Bilstein shocks, 180 lb. Weltmeister springs, and a couple of 2″ diameter nipples to serve as extensions to raise the car about 1.5″ net, since the new springs will lower the car.  Hopefully the car will level off  back to specs when the batteries are on board.

22 mm Sway A Way torsion bars:

KYB Strut inserts:

Nothing’s better than Sachs! 

Since I bought this brand new clutch,  it became necessary to have the flywheel “turned”.  It cost me only $40.00 at a local machine shop.  Contrary to popular belief, the flywheel is not turned on a lathe, but wet ground by a cup shaped, diamond edged “stone”.    Shown below are the flywheel and a new pilot bearing, crush washer and felt washer fresh from Pelican Parts.

Went over to Harbor Freight Tools to take advantage of one of their perpetual sales.  Riv-nut tool, not bad for $16.99.  Also picked up a box of nut rivets, a couple bottles of thread lock (permanent and removable, and stainless steel cable ties.  Another item on sale were ratcheting wrenches, so I picked up a box of metrics. 

Other items from sales past:

I was also able to put in some work on the car, like prepping up the engine compartment for the battery rack by removing the latch and other things that will get in the way.

Advertisements

Critical Part Has Arrived

6 Jul

When people ask when I’ll resume work on the car, I’d either say when I get around to it, or when parts are in.  Well, now that  I’ve committed the funds and time to the project, I would like to share with you a picture of the component that got  me going again.  Finally, I got a round tuit.

A Round Tuit

Meanwhile, I’ve received the  pedal cluster that I sent off to be rebuilt by Eric Shea  of 914Club.com  fame (www.pmbperformance.com).  The price I paid was well worth it.  Here are  before and after pictures:

My “kit” calls for two 250A/160V circuit breakers, strung together,  serving as the main emergency disconnect.   So after deciding to locate these two near the driver’s seat where the speaker used to be, and near where the high voltage cables will transverse the two battery clusters, I used silicone caulk to “glue” the two breakers together.  A nail kept the handles together.  A hefty bus bar, 1/4″ thick  by 1″ wide, linked the two breakers.